Sunday, April 13, 2008

Dan and Sabrina

I'm feeling my mortality.

I remember when I did this with my nieces and nephews. Of course I was older. When I was 22 there were no little ones. But now I watch this scene as a grandfather and my son's grandfather, my dad, is gone. He was the buffer between me and what's to come. That buffer is gone and some times I feel that I have an unobstructed view.

It was something as insignificant as putting a bottle of catsup in the fridge today that brought me to the realization that I have provided for a family. That's a huge accomplishment when you really think about it. My two daughters have each married now and that little one in the picture is next in line although that is many years away.

Will I still be around? Her parents are divorcing. Will she be able to look at me and ask, "will you walk me down the aisle bahbah?" Will I be around to give counsel to her and her brother?

I remember when we were on vacation and I told my two older kids, "go give your grandfather a hug because you never know if this is the last time you will see him." And as it turned out, it was the last time they would see my dad.

Gotta run now. Boston just scored. Marc Savard, former Flame, scored the game winner in overtime. Now the Flames game comes on.

Go Flames Go!!


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]