Friday, November 02, 2007

The Day of the Dead found me surrounded by death.

First there was the visit to my nephew's grave outside Benson. It's been a few years since I've been there. Then yesterday found me in Douglas visiting the graves of my grandparents and aunts and uncles and great-grandparents. My cousin who was murdered resting next to her brother who died of leukemia when he was only eight.

I wandered a bit and found a friend of my son who was claimed by cancer at the age of 10. Some yards away I happened upon the grave of a Civil War veteran.

Then as I drove up to Clifton and Morenci I saw roadside crosses and "adopt a highway" signs all seeming to be "in memory" of somebody. I stopped by the cemetery in Morenci and wandered through graves marked with wooden crosses and fence enclosures. Graves that stand unidentified now on top of a rocky hill.

Soon I will go visit with my dad for a bit.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]