Monday, July 17, 2006

Maybe it IS because I am a confident man

I'm not afraid to say that a man is hot, or attractive, or good looking. I say the same about women. Of course I am attracted to women in very different ways than I am to men because I am heterosexual.

I have friends of all sexual orientations and I interact with them on various levels, none of which is sexual in nature. I am comfortable around people of all sexual orientation because at my age and my body shape I am fairly sure that I am not the object of desire that my ego sometimes makes me out to be.

I told a woman the other day that she was gorgeous and given the setting in which we found ourselves (two paths crossing in random circumstance) she knew that I was sincere, and told me that it made her day.

I told a member of a men's water polo team that he was a good looking man and he looked at me funny.

I ask gay men if they came up to Vancouver to get married and if they say no I ask which one is afraid of commitment and they laugh. They know I'm a straight man but instantly sense my tolerance of their life choices.

It's the same with lesbians and I get pretty much the same response.

I see the faces of gays and lesbians loosen up when they realize that I have no problem with who they are and I engage them in polite conversation and humor. It's too bad they don't find that more often.

I'll quote a line from a gay man in a TV series if any of you wonder if maybe I'm actually a little gay.

Two straight men were wondering if a guy in a bar was gay so they asked their gay friend if he thought the man was gay. He looked down and quickly said,

"Not with those shoes."

Comments:
hahaha i don't think there is anything wrong with a straight man being able to say another man is attractive. i think beings should be able to appreciate the beauty in other beings without it being reduced to some sexual thing.

smoochies
B
 
Great post! I love the funny ending!
 
you are my hero Zona.
i always feel sad when homosexuals can't express their love the way heterosexuals can, that is, out in the open. It's the little things, holding hands and kissing. and i always think, airports are places where people say goodbye, how sad for them not to be able to say goodbye the way they want to.
 
Your writing is as wonderful as your photos xx
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]