Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A female friend, a Canadian female friend once commented that turn signals were optional equipment or cars in the U.S.. I didn't bite. I just kept reading the paper.

"Hey", she was raising her voice, "why don't Americans use their signals when they change lanes?"

I looked up from my paper. I looked at her.

"Because it's none of your business when I change lanes. I have the room, I'm not running you off the road. I just change lanes."

"pfft" she said.

"Lemme ask YOU a question."

"Go ahead" she said.

"Why do Canadians think everybody is supposed to stop when they turn their signals on? I mean I can be flying down the Dearfoot (we were in Calgary) and there's a space between me and the car in front of me that the car next to me couldn't parallel park in so he uses those signals and starts moving ready or not into that space. What's up with THAT?"

She didn't answer.

"And of course you know what he does when he completes the lane change right?"

"No, what?"

"He hits the fucking BRAKES."

I could tell by the look on her face that she knew what I was talking about.

I went back to reading the paper. Eventually she would stop asking me questions about American habits.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]