Sunday, August 21, 2005

The REAL south as YOU picture it

is made up of two cities. Charleston, South Carolina and Savannah, Georgia. AND the drive between the two on highway 17 (if I recall the #) is one of the most lovely drives anywhere. You can go down to battery park in Charleston and see Fort Sumpter off in the distance and perhaps some of the very cannons that started it all back then. You can also see a big plaque marking the spot in that park where "Gentleman Jim" the notorius pirate was hanged. The place oozes history from every corner of a meticilous maintained downtown. I spent the best late spring/summer in my entire life in Charleston and I feel sorry for anybody who isn't able to spend that much time there.

Comments:
Hey, it's great to see a fellow Vancouver blogger on here. Question: why isn't Texas and Florida regarded as "the South"?
 
because I think people think of "the south" as mansions and scarlett o'hara.
 
I live in Savannah and I've lived here pretty much my whole life. No matter how many times I complain about how "slow" it is, I never forget how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful city. Not to mention the road trips to Charleston!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]